Friday, January 30, 2009

Pancakes Like My Dad Used to Make

Food can be such a trigger for memories.

I remember my dad in the kitchen on Sunday making pancakes for the family. This is a dad who was in construction, an avid fisherman who filled his traditional roles while Mom filled hers. That meant it was a big deal when Dad was in the kitchen making pancakes. Now, these weren’t ordinary pancakes. These were pancakes in the shapes of our initials. They tasted so much better than Mom’s…. we thought.

Another twist on pancakes is to make them into the shape of a pig’s face. A large one for the head, a smaller one laid on top (towards the bottom) for the snout, two small oval pancakes for the ears, and then some raisins for the eyes and the nostrils. It can’t help but bring a smile to your face!

So if you’re looking for ways to create memories for your family, take a page from my dad’s book. It’s easy and fun and the memories will stay with your children long after you’re gone.

Evelyn Turner, entrepreneur

The Easy Entrée
www.TheEasyEntree.com

2 comments:

  1. Great story Evelyn, this reminds me of my starting a new tradition with my granddaughter. Just about every time she comes to my home we bake a pie. Now when she comes to the door she looks up at me with a big smile and the first word out of her mouth is "pie?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evelyn, your story brought back a memory. My Dad made waffles every Sunday. That in of itself was special. But he made surprise waffles. He would add things. We had peanut butter waffles, peppermint waffles, chocolate chip waffles, banana waffles etc. It was always great. Thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete

If you will not be selecting a profile from the "Comment as" drop down menu please select "Anonymous" or "Name/URL." Please consider including your first name, full name or nickname with your comment. Thanks!